As School Advisory Councils play an important role in the governance framework of Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools (MACS), the MACS office assists schools by providing:
- print and online material in the form of key documents and templates
- reference material in regard to advertising for members and appointment of members
- terms and conditions in the appointment letter that must be agreed to by the proposed council member
- details of expectations of council members
- agendas and minutes.
Workshops and meetings
The MACS office also provides a consultancy service to support principals, parish priests and canonical administrators in their responsibilities related to strengthening the parish–school community. The service provides them with resources and advice in working with existing School Advisory Councils and in establishing new councils, as well as:
- assistance with the formation of new councils
- professional development for new chairs of councils
- advice and support to principals, parish priests and canonical administrators in relation to the role of the council in their particular setting
- advice and support to newly appointed principals in relation to the role of the council in their particular setting
- support for network and cluster activities.
The specific formation requirements of individual councils are the responsibility of the relevant principal, parish priest and canonical administrator, as leaders of the parish–school community.